St John's Anglican Seminary has a strong sense of mission, seeking to educate and equip men and women for ministry in the church. It also seeks to provide students with the opportunity to have a deep and personal knowledge of Jesus Christ to help in building God’s kingdom and to transform society for Christ.
This mission is expressed in the following aims;
In 2016, ABM helped to support 30 students, 4 full-time staff, and 4 part-time staff members. The courses taught at the seminary range from an in-house Diploma to the Bachelor of Theology (at ordinary and honours levels via North West University), all delivered according to recognised University-level standards.
|St. Johns Seminary computer laboratory|
Anglican clergy training in Zambia goes back to 1932 when four students were ordained as deacons, after two years of special training at Fiwila (in central Zambia) to serve the Diocese of Northern Rhodesia. Clergy training then moved to nearby Kakwelesa in 1939, and twelve years later to Kabulonga, Lusaka. In 1972 St John's was closed and there was no theological training for the clergy from 1972 to 1982. St John's Seminary was re-opened in Kitwe at Mindolo Ecumenical Foundation (MEF) in 1982 with training being done at United Church of Zambia Theological College (UCZTC) up to 1990 when St John's Seminary was officially separated from UCZTC. The Seminary is located to the city centre of Kitwe and along Chingola highway making it easy accessible by road. As part of the institutions within MEF, St John's Seminary has a cross denominational character that enriches its traditional Anglican polity and orthodox faith.
The Seminary has reasonably sound book stock for theology and religious studies in the library (about 13000 books) with additional purchases being done to ensure holdings are up-to–date. The Seminary is also blessed in being able to draw on the expertise of tutorial staff from other Christian denominations, including the United Church of Zambia and the United Methodist Church, alongside Anglican full-time and part-time staff members.
The Seminary provides a number of computers in the library and has a computer laboratory with about ten computers for commercial use by the surrounding community. All the computers are connected to a twenty-four hour internet service that helps the students in research and communication. The Seminary also provides print and copy facilities on demand.